Revamp for X Factor after ratings drop – Daily TV round-up

Worst ratings in seven years may prompt a shake-up for the series

The ratings for 'The X Factor' finals were the lowest the show has seen in seven years, it has emerged.

X Factor... poor ratings may cause shake-up (Copyright: ITV)

Last night's show, which saw James Arthur take the prize after a head-to-head with Jahmene Douglas, drew a 12.5 million audience, the worst since 2005.

The figures are a substantial 15% drop on last year's audience for the finals in which Little Mix were crowned the winners, and 30% down on the year before, when Matt Cardle took the title.

The slide has resulted in calls for an urgent revamp to the show's format for the next series.

[Related story: X Factor voting details revealed]


A source on the show told The Sun that 'it doesn’t take a genius to work out that the show is not in the best health. We have had some very strong singers this year but the show is feeling in need of a reboot'.

It's thought that next year, the series – which is the last in the current deal with ITV – will start its Saturday show earlier to make the most of younger audiences, while the start date may be moved to coincide with the week after children go back to school, also hoping to bring younger viewers on board early on.

The arena auditions may also be canned, in favour of the original style in a room with the judges, which is said to emphasize 'rags-to-riches' stories.

ITV bosses want Cowell to return as a judge, but he has already said that he would not be able to do both the US and UK 'X Factor' shows and be an effective mentor.

Current judges too could be in the firing line for the next series, including Gary Barlow and Tulisa, while it's thought that original judge Sharon Osbourne is being tipped to return. [Digital Spy/The Sun]

Also in today's press

Matt Cardle has taken a pop at James Arthur after it appeared Arthur was slating his lack of success in an interview. Arthur said that the previous male winners 'haven't sold records because they haven't made great albums'. “@JamesArthur23 … you haven't had two Top 10 albums… yet. So disappointed you're slagging off my work and my career,” tweeted Cardle. [Digital Spy]

'I'm A Celebrity...' contestant Nadine Dorries MP slammed 'Sunday Politics' host Andrew Neil, after he quizzed her on her pay packet for the ITV show. “I’ve never heard you ask a male MP what fee he is being paid for work that he does,” she said. Neil replied: “Maybe you’ll have to watch our programmes more often instead of being in the jungle.” [The Sun]

Ex-Corrie stars Bruce Jones and Wendi Peters - who played Les and Cilla Battersby - are said to have been offered places on 'Celebrity Big Brother'. They join the likes of Meatloaf and Justin Lee Collins among the rumoured contestants. [Unreality TV]